I love hot chai lattes especially when it’s cold out and I’m feeling chilled. The warm spices and light sweetness taste healing and comforting. I also like having a warm vegan treat now and then which is hard since I don’t drink coffee and am very sensitive to the effects of caffeine. Most cafe’s and coffee shops don’t offer decaffeinated chai so I make this as a special treat for myself at home.
I love Chai but wanted a decaffeinated version. This uses non-dairy milk to make it thicker and lots of warming spices. It’s my morning staple but it makes a nice dessert treat too.
This Cheater Chai uses no tea so is quick and easy to make. Without caffeine, feel free to enjoy it anytime.
Cheater Chai Recipe:
Makes 1 serving
- 1 mug of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (about 1 1/2 cups) or non-diary milk of choice (I use Calafia Farms Unsweetened Vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 (generous) teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 (shy) teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 (shy) teaspoon cloves
- dash of cayenne (I like mine spicy)
- 2 teaspoons sugar in the raw
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite protein powder (optional) I use Sun Warrior Classic Raw Blend
- Add almond milk to a saucepan and turn to med/high heat.
- Add spices, sugar, and protein powder and whisk until well combined. Milk will boil over if unattended so keep an eye on it. Heat until lightly bubbling.
- Pour into your favorite mug (I preheat with hot water) and enjoy!